Village of Blissfield, Michigan
The Village Administrator serves as the chief administrative officer of the village government and is responsible to village council for the administration of all matters placed in the administrator’s charge by the authority of the Michigan General Law Village Act, being Public Act 3 of 1895, other state statutes, Section 140.000 of the village code of ordinances, and other village ordinances and policies.
Some responsibilities of the Village Administrator include:
- Attend all village council meetings
- Carry out policies and resolutions of the council
- Ensure proper enforcement of village laws and ordinances
- Keep the council advised of the financial condition, administrative activities, and future needs of the village.
- Provide reports as the council may require concerning the operation of the village
- Manage and supervise all public works, buildings, roads, utilities, improvements, and other undertakings of the village
- Oversee village services and make related recommendations to the council, boards, committees, and commissions
- Prepare and submit an annual budget and capital improvement program to the council for approval and adoption
- Supervise and coordinate day-to-day activities and work of all departments of the village except the Office of the Village Attorney
About Our Village Administrator
Interim Village Administrator Darwin McClary joined the village’s management team in January 2021. Darwin comes to our community with more than 30 years of experience as a city and village manager in several Michigan communities. He is a proud alum of Siena Heights College (now University) in Adrian, Michigan, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in human services with a concentration in public administration. Darwin also earned a Master of Public Administration (MPA) degree from Golden Gate University. His professional memberships include the International City/County Management Association (ICMA), Michigan Municipal Executives (MME), and the Michigan Public Employer Labor Relations Association (MPELRA). Darwin is an ICMA Credentialed Manager and strictly adheres to the ICMA Code Of Ethics. He is a strong advocate for open, transparent, and ethical governance and believes in building a highly effective municipal team by modeling his Organizational Values for Municipal Excellence.
Darwin is married to his husband, Steven, and they have four sons. In his spare time, he enjoys camping, hiking, biking, swimming, canoeing and kayaking, superhero RPGs with friends, genealogy, and especially spending quality time with his husband, sons, and grandson.
In addition to being available during normal business hours, Village Administrator Darwin McClary offers convenient times for the public each Wednesday evening from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM by appointment. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all meetings are currently held remotely via Zoom or phone call. Call or E-mail to schedule a convenient 30-minute meeting that respects your busy schedule!
Interim Village Administrator
Darwin McClary, MPA, ICMA-CM
Appointed: January 11, 2021
Phone: (517) 486-4347
Fax: (517) 486-4069
Village Administrator’s Reports